Dubspot blogger Mike Steyels investigates the the musical holiday of International Record Store Day 2013, where you can find many special releases and a new documentary film at a local record shop near you.
International Record Store Day 2013
The internet can be a great tool for discovering new music, but there’s definitely something missing from the experience. Having face to face discussions with a record store clerk, an artist stopping by to drop off flyers, or the other shoppers browsing creates a stronger bond and a more fulfilling connection to your city’s music scene.
Luckily, there are people fighting to keep record shops alive and well, and this weekend they hope to capture the attention of an increasingly distracted public. International Record Store Day – which falls this year on Saturday, April 20th – has been celebrating the musical hub that is the record shop since 2008 with a celebration that extends around the world.
[King Midas Sound - "Funny Love" RSD Exclusive]
With a series of in-store events and exclusive releases, International Record Store Day aims to bring people out into the real world to meet one another. Special limited-edition releases are the biggest draw for collectors – this year, there are over 350 RSD releases, compared to 10 at the first event in 2008. (Coincidentally, vinyl sales are at their highest point since 1997.)
[The xx - "Sunset (Jamie xx Edit)" RSD Vinyl Exclusive]
Record Store Day special releases are mostly kept secret, creating a need to hit your local shop to see what you might discover. The special releases come from a broad range of artists, from GIl Scott Heron and The Doors to The Cure and Fela Kuti. There’s even a special GZA Liquid Swords Chess Box release.
[Evian Christ "DUGA-3" RSD Vinyl Exclusive]
Last Shop Standing
Last Shop Standing is a new documentary celebrating UK record shops that will be available on DVD this Saturday. It’s also being screened at participating Record Store Day locations internationally.
Below are some highlights from the releases that will be available on April 20 at selected shops around the world. For a full list of releases available and the shops participating, head over to the Record Store Day website for details.
• Olafur Arnalds For Now I Am Winter 12″ Vinyl (DeutscheGrammaphone) 1,100 US copies
• Bonobo The North Borders 10″ Vinyl Box Set (Ninja Tune)
• Brian Eno Brian Eno x Nicolas Jaar x Grizzly Bear 12″ Vinyl (Warp)
• Evian Christ DUGA-3 12″ Vinyl (Tri Angle)
• CSC Funk Band Funkincense 12″ Vinyl (Electric Cowbell Records)
• Cut Copy Bright Like Neon Love 12″ Vinyl (Modular)
• Foals Holy Fire 12″ Vinyl (Warner Bros.)
• King Midas Sound Aroo 12″ Vinyl (Ninja Tune)
• Moby & Mark Lanegan The Lonely Night featuring a Photek remix 7″ Vinyl (Mute)
• Ninja Tune & If Music If 12″ Vinyl (Ninja Tune)
• Sigur Ros Agaetis Byrjun 12″ Vinyl (PIAS)
• Various Artists – Black Gold Vinyl (Tru Thoughts)
• Various Artists – 50 Weapons meets Monkeytown Records 12 12″ Vinyl (Monkeytown)
• The xx Jamie xx Edits 12″ Vinyl (XL Recordings)